Our basic ‘offer’ to members is a Tuesday Club Run and a Thursday Hills session. For both sessions, we meet at Derby Rugby Club (Haslam’s Lane, Darley Abbey, Derby DE22 1EB) with different runs on Tuesdays starting between 6:45 and 7:15 pm, and on Thursdays at 7:00 pm.
- Book in using the Eventbrite app
- Turn up just before their run start time and to leave immediately upon return
- Not come if they had tested positive or have had Covid symptoms
- Let the Club know if they test positive in the days following a run so that fellow runners can be tracked
All the information about each week’s runs can be found on the Club’s Eventbrite page. They normally include 4 mile and 6 mile runs at different paces.
Each group is led by one or two run leaders (depending on group size), at least one of whom will be an England Athletics qualified leader (Leadership in Running Fitness). The run leaders will follow one of our many club routes – we have winter routes (on road and in town) and summer routes (which often include off road sections). We rotate these routes week by week to provide variety for our members.
One run leader takes the front of the group, and if there is a second leader, they will take the back to ensure no-one gets left behind. Groups ‘muster’ regularly – if the group stretches out a little, those at the front circle round to the back of the group to bring it back together again.
On Thursdays, members are invited to join the Hills group for repeated sprints up some of our local inclines. Suited for both beginners and more experienced runners, everyone can attempt as many reps as they feel comfortable with – a very inclusive session.
Additional Covid measures
Although we are not formally required to limit our groups or operate in particular ways, we still feel it is important to maintain certain safety measures. In addition to the measures already outlined above, we also:
- Choose routes which have been chosen to minimise contact with the public
- Provide clear information about the projected pace of the group to minimise the need for mustering
- Timetable groups to leave at 5 minute intervals to limit the number of people congregating.
- Remind runners about socially distanced running
- Carry a first aid kit including face masks and gloves
June 2022 – The closure of the bridge over the river at Darley Abbey Mills has caused us a few headaches but will not stop us! Many of our usual routes have had to be re-worked, giving us the opportunity to go to some places Hoops have not been before! The bottom line is that we continue to leave from the Rugby Club on both Tuesdays and Thursdays – if you live on the Darley Abbey side of the river, remember to give yourself a little extra time to get there.