Our basic ‘offer’ to members is a Tuesday Club Run and a Thursday Hills session. For both sessions, we meet at Derby Rugby Club (Haslam’s Lane, Darley Abbey, Derby DE22 1EB) at 7:00 pm for a 7:15 depart.
On Tuesdays we provide a variety of groups to suit different levels of fitness and ability. These usually include:
– 4 miles (11-13 min/mile)
– 6 miles (9.5 – 10.5 min/mile)
– 6 miles (8.0 – 8.5 min/mile)
-6 miles (7.0 – 7.5 min/mile)
Members decide which group they wish to join upon arrival. Each group is led by two run leaders, at least one of whom will be an England Athletics qualified leader (Leadership in Running Fitness). The run leaders will follow one of our many club routes – we have winter routes (on road and in town) and summer routes (which often include off road sections). We rotate these routes week by week to provide variety for our members.
One run leader takes the front of the group, while the other takes the back to ensure no-one gets left behind. Groups ‘muster’ regularly – if the group stretches out a little, those at the front circle round to the back of the group to bring it back together again.
On Thursdays, members are invited to join the Hills group for repeated sprints up some of our local inclines. Suited for both beginners and more experienced runners, everyone can attempt as many reps as they feel comfortable with – a very inclusive session.
In September 2020 we re-started official Club runs following lockdown in March. We re-instated Tuesday and Thursday runs, but all our led sessions had to be Covid-19 secure according to the requirements set down by England Athletics.
The Club will:
- Choose routes which have been chosen to minimise contact with the public
- Limit group sizes to six, including the leader
- Provide clear information about the projected pace of the group to minimise the need for mustering
- Timetable groups to leave at 5 intervals to limit the number of people congregating.
- Remind runners about socially distanced running
- Carry a first aid kit including face masks and gloves
- Book in using the Eventbrite app
- Turn up just before their run start time and to leave immediately upon return
- Not come if they had tested positive or have had Covid symptoms
- Let the Club know if they test positive in the days following a run so that fellow runners can be tracked
Club sessions ceased once again following Derby being put into Tier 4 at the end of December.